Skip to main content

Erased Dedication and Introduction


Dedication

Welcome to Erased. This book is forever dedicated to those whose light presents for them more obstacles than opportunities. It is also dedicated to The Freedom of Violence, and to those who reaches deep within to find alternatives to violence and anarchy. I offer this writing as a voice to The Dreamers who when faced with homelessness, disassociation, and excommunication find a way to pull not only themselves up but all who are loyal to truth and universal love. Lastly, I use this project to commend and salute Sole Proprietorship, Private Enterprise, and Free Enterprise. Let the Children Rise!


Erased
"The Introduction" (narrated by Sam)

...Three and a half years earlier


    Six years ago I sold my inheritance.  It was an easy decision to make after I woke up from a dreadful dream where my hands were drenched in blood.  I'd walked around with the thought for days before I finally showed up at my father's door.  I could tell he had no idea what he was about to hear.  He greeted me happily and patted me on the back as I walked into the home where I grew up.  It was quiet with only a few workers moving busily about.  I headed right for my father's office. 

I'm Sam Simpleton.  My father is Palmer Simpleton. My family owns sixty-five percent of Simpleton and Fisher.  I myself own fifteen percent.  It was my official inheritance apart from the Simpleton name.  My father was generous that way.  Yet, I never got the feeling I had much of a choice in the matter. Well, perhaps he had considered some alternatives because all the Simpleton children had been informed that we could only sell our ownership within the Family.  Therefore I knew my father's concerns wouldn't be about a possible shake up in the company, but it would require some explanation.

I took my seat in front of my father's desk, and waited for him to enter. He's not as quick as he used to be.  I took the moment to look at all the family portraits behind his chair. It was all the pride to him, but now what? How would he look on them now? It wasn't like he could just erase me; I was the middle child.  

I turned quickly and locked eyes with my father as he entered the room. I could feel my palms sweating, and sweat on my back.  My father always found a way to exhibit his power even in the simplest ways. He headed to the coffee maker and set it to brew, and then adjusted the blinds. As the light came flooding in, I felt reassured that I could deliver my decision. Just then it hit me. My sister had not kept her promise, and my father already knew why I'd come.  It's just the way it had always been.  Everyone knew Cassandra and I were each other's confidants.  That being the case, once I'd made up my mind, Cassandra had the first grab at my fifteen percent.  She'd regretfully accepted, and if my father agreed she would officially become the Simpleton with the greatest share of ownership. Looking at it closer, it was a bit of a shake up.  Not only was she the youngest Simpleton, but she was a woman.  I couldn't have planned this, and I hoped my father wouldn't see it as an assault on the company he'd built. 

My father took his seat, and came clean.
"I got a call from Cassie."  He seemed to leave a small opening for me, but I didn't approach it.  He reached into his desk draw and pull out his eye glasses.  Next, he pulled some papers from another draw.  I wanted to jump in and slow down the process, but I hadn't considered what it would feel like without my inheritance.  I didn't know it would be a cold exchange of documents.  I wanted my father but the moment I walked into the room and sat on this side of the table, I was met by the entity.  I sat thinking maybe I should have walked into the kitchen. 

"Can I explain?" I wanted my father to know that my intentions were pure.
"You've explained enough. No one returns an inheritance unless they want to be disassociated."  My Father's voice was deep and professor like.
"What about my sonship?" I asked with a sudden fear that I'd find myself completely naked.
"You are my son, and I will never deny that, but there's a difference between money and inheritance." My father quickly responded.  In that moment, I wanted to forget all the times I'd gotten a bad feeling as I looked on quietly at the evolution of the company. I also wanted the blot out the sight of my bloodied hands, and just as I did the sun rose up and shined on me just a little stronger. I couldn't.  I couldn't take the risk. 

I left the Simpleton estate with the stapled documents I'd signed rolled up in my back pocket.  It was hard to admit, but I didn't know when I'd be back.  The truth was, and my father must have recognized that the fact that I hadn't created a will to transfer my ownership over to my son was a clear statement.  Likewise I'd registered the fact that my sister had already signed the documents as a clear sign of allegiance to my father. 

Most of that is behind me now, and I must say that the building of Ample Publishing has been all up hill.  My big break came when a big time writer from the west coast landed right in my lap.  I didn't hesitate to sign him and his wife.  In fact he's proven to be quite the industry insider, and we've become close.  It's the only reason I accepted the invitation to celebrate Thanksgiving with friends of his.  In the years since I'd sold my inheritance, I'd also gotten divorced and spent most of my holidays alone. 

I pulled into the crowded driveway.  I was late on purpose.  It was just something execs did in social settings.  Everything was new, and freshly painted.  I knocked at the surprisingly bright blue door. I was met by a dark skinned man with a hat on his head. It more than startled me, and I found myself slightly offended. It was a common thing still.  In recent years I could really see how much etiquette I'd really absorbed, and how much of it I still subscribed to.  The man quickly welcomed me, and directed me toward the kitchen where everyone was gathered.  The home was beautifully designed, and I was impressed to meet the designer.  Honestly, it was an impressive bunch, yet nothing had prepared me for what came at the dinner table. 

It was a surprise announcement.  The lady of the house eagerly unveiled a thin paperback book as a part of all the things she was grateful for.  It was interesting to see Jeff and Ketly's reaction. I was sure they had no idea. I myself had not heard about the book, and that was my job.  I usually had a good scope on new authors coming into the industry.  I kept my curiosity under wraps, and waited for an opening to find out about the publisher.  When the time was right, and everyone had gathered around the television, I asked if I could take a look.  The cover and title was unlike anything I'd seen.  There was something deep and captivating about them put together.  The two had a story of their own to tell.  Just as I got past the cover, I made the discovery.  I quickly backed onto the wall just a few steps behind me.  I needed a little support.  What were the chances?  A Simpleton and Fisher publication.  I could tell the book was a review copy, and I was happy to get the heads up.  I returned the book, and shortly made my exit.

It was a beautiful day, and it was still early.  I took to the road, and for the first time since I'd started the company, I felt a competitive edge.  I still knew some of the right people, and although I'd consciously stayed away from my father's connections, I knew I needed to get a copy of Renegotiating Kayla.


Erased, a novel

Copyright 2018 by NaTisha Renee Williams, All Rights Reserved

Grace Call Communications, LLC Copyright 2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The VCR Diaries "MIC" Reece vs. Rick Simpleton, Round 7

Welcome to The VCR Diaries 2 "MIC"  A Poetic Documental  based on The Decks and the Road Novel Series (Click on the Image to open a clearer view) Experience MIC! Mysteries in Common. Enjoy this comparison look at The VCR Diaries and The VCR Diaries 2 "No Estrogen" To view the full Log of the Diaries, you may go to  TBIOB.blogspot.com Round 7- Reece vs. Rick Simpleton "The Trap" from  The VCR Diaries 1-Act 3, Part 1-  The Lights have dropped.  It’s not a total black out.  Not yet anyway.  You can hear the questions and the whispers.  None of them however are stronger than the darkness.  Reece is the last woman standing, and her platform is beginning to look like a trap.  It remains erected, but it’s obvious she’s going to need to move around.  It’s the look on her face that sends this message.  It says she’s got a head full of thoughts.  It’s not even on her chest.  No, it’s right at the tip of her tongue. Her Diary- Reece I

Introduction to Freeborn

The Decks and the Road Book 1- Freeborn Introduction “You have not seen your life, until you’ve seen a circle.” In life we take the hands we are dealt, and hit the road.  Sometimes the deck makes us a slave, and other times, the road wears us down.  Then, every now and again we get a glimpse of the Freeborn ; the beauty that is born at the round-about.  It’s a fragile beauty; a beauty that can be easily seen but not understood.  It’s the beauty you hope will be with you forever.  But, too bad; it was born free.  It comes, it harnesses the wind, it creates a line in the sky, and then, it’s gone.  The freeborn is not for the aspirational.  It’s useless to aspire to.  It’s not up to us who breathe, but it’s decided by the one who gives breath.  The generations could not purge itself to exist this way; nor could traditions.  It’s the resting of a hand—the touch of destiny; and boy is it sure to be victimized.  Yet, never mind the all the sympathy.  The Freeborn is nobody’s ga

The VCR Diaries "MIC" Reece vs. Rick, Round 9

Welcome to The VCR Diaries 2 "MIC"  A Poetic Documental  based on The Decks and the Road Novel Series (Click on the Image to open a clearer view.  Download optional after opening.) Thank you for following The VCR Diaries MIC! Mysteries in Common. Enjoy this comparison look at The VCR Diaries and The VCR Diaries 2 "No Estrogen" To view the full Log of the Diaries, you may go to  TBIOB.blogspot.com Reece vs. Rick  "Survival Instinct" Reece-  Ever seen a tiny branch form right out of a large branch?  There’s no succession; no respect for season.  You blink and there it is.  It appears weak in contrast, until you see a squirrel sitting there.  There’s no sway.  There’s no bounce. It’s there and it’s meant to be there.  My life is the tiny branch, but my breath remains a set of wings… again, one tiny and one large.  You should see it flying through the sky; my breath.  If you can capture the image, you’ll say it’s not going that far.  Ye