Skip to main content

RK: A Memory Lane of Paper Trails

The Decks and the Road
Renegotiating Kaylin


Chapter 2- Memory Lane of Paper Trails


Kayla- I was fortunate to receive a warning in year two of my marriage.  It’s unfortunate that I ignored it.  Now I’m standing next to my husband, still married, but separated.  It was just a silly little cool thing; my keeping the napkins where every now and then he’d write me a cute note.  Mostly I’d get them on the days that I was late.  It would be something only our bond could properly translate.  It’s that way with poetry and friendship.  A lot can be gained in translation. I knew the moment I saw them lying on the kitchen counter, with two large bags standing near the door, and the expression on Wood’s face that he’d miscalculated, and yet he’d warned me.  There was nothing I could say to make him unpack, and all my begging and crying had no impact.  He’d kept his words to a minimum.  The scene and the paper trail were his talking points.  Even now it’s hard to gather words between us, and we’re only standing next to each other in hopes that we can keep the matter private.  It’s Kaylin’s birthday, and no excuse from either of us would be acceptable to her.  So we’re here, and we’re pulling it off when she arrives with a huge look of love and appreciation on her face.  Just as she came in an instant though, she appears to be leaving, as an unfamiliar look of horror overshadows her.  I know such a look; it’s not foreign to me, and I wouldn’t dare stand still.  I can see the puzzled faces all around, and I cut through all of them and follow her.  It’s the thing about being around people who love you from a distance or in a superficial way.  They always miss the que or get wrapped up in what they’re experiencing as a result of your trauma. 

When we make it out and far enough away from the celebrating, I’m standing between her and Johnaya.  It’s funny, Johnaya and I both know that we need to talk, and I want to, but I’m mostly too embarrassed and we each brush it off for the sake of Kaylin.  I motion for her to give us a few moments and she fades off somewhere.

“What’s the matter?”  I’m completely in shock and holding on to her with one arm.
“It’s my birthday.  He knows it’s my birthday.” 
“Who’s he?”
“The jerk I’m in love with.  I thought he’d come alone.  I thought we’d be together.”
“Where is he?”
“Inside with some girl.”  Her head remained hung and a few of her tears fell onto my arm.
“And where do you think you’re going?”  I asked with a sense of authority I knew Nora would appreciate.
“I can’t stay.  I don’t know how to pretend like its okay, and I don’t want to ruin…”
“Just ask him to leave.”  I heard my words of advice, and felt the sentiments that it had taken me years to come by myself, and I knew I was pushing her completely out of her skin, but it was only right and I thought perhaps I could save her some years.

“It’s just…”  Our eyes meet, and I can see that she does love him.
“I’d be willing to do it for you.”  I thought of all the preparation that had gone into the planning, all the guests, and the warm tradition I’d come to love, and I couldn’t see it going her way.  There was just no way she was leaving.  Then out of the cleared air she found the courage to ask me.

“I don’t want to return to school.  I want to pursue my music.  And I was thinking I could stay with you if it’s okay.”  Well, it was and wasn’t a question. 

“What does Tayeton have to say about all this Kaylin?”  I suddenly took back my authority, and wasn’t so sure Nora would be pleased.

“I haven’t said anything, but it’s my life isn’t it.”  She was right and yet it wasn’t my place to be the first to know.  At least I didn’t think so.

“Speak to Tayeton.  If it’s okay with him, then yes.”  I remembered the towering request Nora had made, and how much she felt it had to be so.  I’d looked on however and not from too much a far, and I thought everything had gone fairly well; pretty well actually.  As a matter of fact, I can also recall thanking God that it had all worked out at her high school graduation, and felt most of the pressure raise up off me; now this.  We stood there for another few moments while she dried her face, and gather herself and all her thoughts.  When we finally turned around to rejoin the party, our eyes landed on Wood and Johnaya who were standing just a few steps away, and arm-in-arm.  My heart surely skipped a beat, and I felt another kind of pressure.  It was the pressure of their unbreakable bond and love looking on with seemingly so much to say.   Just then Kaylin looked at me, smiled and assured me that she’d take care of the situation back at the house.  As she passed them, Johnaya again faded off and I was left again standing with my husband. 

“Is everything okay?”
“Everything is fine.  Girl drama that’s all.”
“Well, I’m leaving… I guess I’ll see you.”
“But you haven’t said goodbye to Kaylin.”  I tried to make him stay.
“Kayla… I met someone.”  The words were from a movie.  They were cliché and cold.  Most of all, they had no place in my marriage.

“It’s only been three months… what do you mean you’ve met someone.  Wood please stop this… I told you; there’s nothing going on and I’ve never been unfaithful to you.”

“Kayla, then you don’t know what it means to be unfaithful.  I’ve stood by you.  I’ve gone to the ends of my heart for you… You broke my heart, and the fact that you don’t get that tells me that I can’t trust you with my heart.  I could have never done that to you.  Those things didn’t belong in our home. “

“What were you looking for anyway?  Tell me…  No, why don’t you just admit that you don’t and never have trusted me.”

“That’s not true.  And it wasn’t like that.  I just wanted to surprise you.”
“Then, let’s go back to Dr. Kat.  Why can’t we work on it?”
“Dr. Kat?  Really… Kayla, you’re in love with her husband.”  The words were harsh, and as far as I knew they were untrue.

“No, Wood… I’m in love with you.” I tried to grab hold of his hands, but he wouldn’t allow me.
“I don’t believe you.  I’m sorry… I read the notes Kayla, and I just don’t believe you.”
“Who is she?” 
“A woman.  A woman I’m deeply fond of.”  I could tell that he didn’t mistakenly mention all these things to me, and I understood that he’d plan on breaking the news to me on this night.  It was awful.  It was cruel.  I wished I didn’t love him so much then I could hate him.  I wanted to slap him, and yet I wanted him in my arms.  I thought to beg some more again, but this was his way of saying it was no use.  Still I tried.

“Please Wood… don’t leave me.  Tell me what I need to do, and I’ll do it.”
“You wouldn’t… It’s everything you’ve worked hard for, and I couldn’t rob you of that.”
“Tell me.” 
“I don’t want you to resent me.”
“I’m willing.   Just tell me, and I’ll fix it.”
“I want what we had before Simpleton and Fisher.  I miss you.”  The realization of what he was standing between us was tough.  My life had changed completely.  I loved my work.  My success was beyond anything I could have imagined, and I thought we were both enjoying it.  I thought I would jump at the opportunity to make things right, but I wasn’t jumping.  I was frozen still, and trying to balance the scales in my head.  When too many moments had escaped, and I hadn’t uttered another word, my husband kissed my cheek, told me “I Love You” and slowly walked away.  It was too crushing, and I could not stay.  I didn’t say goodnight to Kaylin or Johnaya, and headed right for my car.  Behind the wheel, I waited to catch my breath, but apparently my breath was with him.  




Renegotiating Kaylin, a novel
Copyright 2019 by Natisha Renee Williams and Grace Call Communications, LLC 
All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The VCR Diaries "MIC" Reece vs. Rick Simpleton, Round 7

Welcome to The VCR Diaries 2 "MIC"  A Poetic Documental  based on The Decks and the Road Novel Series (Click on the Image to open a clearer view) Experience MIC! Mysteries in Common. Enjoy this comparison look at The VCR Diaries and The VCR Diaries 2 "No Estrogen" To view the full Log of the Diaries, you may go to  TBIOB.blogspot.com Round 7- Reece vs. Rick Simpleton "The Trap" from  The VCR Diaries 1-Act 3, Part 1-  The Lights have dropped.  It’s not a total black out.  Not yet anyway.  You can hear the questions and the whispers.  None of them however are stronger than the darkness.  Reece is the last woman standing, and her platform is beginning to look like a trap.  It remains erected, but it’s obvious she’s going to need to move around.  It’s the look on her face that sends this message.  It says she’s got a head full of thoughts.  It’s not even on her chest.  No, it’s right at the tip of her tongue. Her Diary- Reece I

Introduction to Freeborn

The Decks and the Road Book 1- Freeborn Introduction “You have not seen your life, until you’ve seen a circle.” In life we take the hands we are dealt, and hit the road.  Sometimes the deck makes us a slave, and other times, the road wears us down.  Then, every now and again we get a glimpse of the Freeborn ; the beauty that is born at the round-about.  It’s a fragile beauty; a beauty that can be easily seen but not understood.  It’s the beauty you hope will be with you forever.  But, too bad; it was born free.  It comes, it harnesses the wind, it creates a line in the sky, and then, it’s gone.  The freeborn is not for the aspirational.  It’s useless to aspire to.  It’s not up to us who breathe, but it’s decided by the one who gives breath.  The generations could not purge itself to exist this way; nor could traditions.  It’s the resting of a hand—the touch of destiny; and boy is it sure to be victimized.  Yet, never mind the all the sympathy.  The Freeborn is nobody’s ga

The VCR Diaries "MIC" Reece vs. Rick, Round 9

Welcome to The VCR Diaries 2 "MIC"  A Poetic Documental  based on The Decks and the Road Novel Series (Click on the Image to open a clearer view.  Download optional after opening.) Thank you for following The VCR Diaries MIC! Mysteries in Common. Enjoy this comparison look at The VCR Diaries and The VCR Diaries 2 "No Estrogen" To view the full Log of the Diaries, you may go to  TBIOB.blogspot.com Reece vs. Rick  "Survival Instinct" Reece-  Ever seen a tiny branch form right out of a large branch?  There’s no succession; no respect for season.  You blink and there it is.  It appears weak in contrast, until you see a squirrel sitting there.  There’s no sway.  There’s no bounce. It’s there and it’s meant to be there.  My life is the tiny branch, but my breath remains a set of wings… again, one tiny and one large.  You should see it flying through the sky; my breath.  If you can capture the image, you’ll say it’s not going that far.  Ye