Skip to main content

RK: "Not As Glamorous As it Appears" and "Peeking Through"


The Decks and the Road

Renegotiating Kaylin



Chapter 5- Not As Glamorous As it Appears


Kaylin- Instead of a four hour drive north to my school in Central Florida, I’m heading just about twenty minutes east.  It’s early still, and I’m ready to face my brother and all his expectations for my life.  I’ve considered Kayla’s stance, and if this doesn’t go well, I still have my monthly allowance, and the nearly twelve thousand dollars I received for my birthday to support me in following my heart.  When I pull into the driveway, my brother’s car is already in reverse and the car stops just short of my front bumper.  We’ve already hugged and kissed and my visit is unexpected.  Tayeton emerges after a couple long seconds, and we meet in the small space between the two cars.  I can read the look on his face, and likewise the face of Kat whose head is hanging out of the passenger side and turned towards me. 
“Is everything okay… we weren’t expecting you?”  My brother is surprised, but not disturbed.
“Everything’s okay… it’s just that I’ve thought about it, and I don’t want to return to school.”
“Are you serious?  Kaylin you have a powerful opportunity, and you’re in the perfect position to do something both mom and myself wish we could have.  I mean… “Where is all this coming from?”

“Well, I want to pursue my music, and I met someone who can help me.”
“Help you?  The industry isn’t going anywhere Kaylin.  College can help you.”
“Nor is college going anywhere.”  I’d begun to walk out from the small space and pace.
“So you come home, and then what?  Who’s this person, and what are they promising?”
“There’s no promise… it’s not laid out like that, but all the connections are there.”
“But you’re not a singer; you’re a writer.  So how do you break through?”
“I don’t have any of those answers Tayeton.  I just want to follow my heart.  I can stay with Kayla while I figure it all out.”
“I don’t know….”  I’m now standing still.  All my cards are on the table, and there’s nowhere to go, but there’s been an exchange of emotion and now Tayeton’s pacing.  His hands are on his hips, and he continues to shake his head back and forth from right to left.

“Why don’t you wait… finish school, and then I can make some phone calls.  I’m sure there’s someone in my network that can put us in contact with the right people.”  I listened as I absorbed all the disappointment and disapproval I could.  I turned the ignition off, and sat on the front of the car where I tried to consider my brother’s wisdom, but everything in me said no, though I didn’t feel like it was appropriate to utter the words.  After the first few tears hit the middle of my skirt, my brother joined me.  He wrapped his arm around me, and then looked me in the eyes.

“Everything is not as easy and glamorous as it appears.  There are things that go on that I couldn’t begin to share with you.  I’m just trying to protect you.”

“I get it.”
“No you don’t.  And that’s okay.  I’ll give you my blessing if you’re going to be by Kayla.  If not, you’re here with me.  Those are the terms.”
“Terms accepted.”  I didn’t know when my tears stopped or my skirt dried, but things had gone as best as they possibly could, and I was driving away with my whole future in front of me.  And to be clear, my future as I understood it was full of success.  These were non-negotiable terms; terms I could not part with.

I’d already counted on it going my way, and I’d called Johnaya to collect the personal things she’d left behind in the room we shared at Kayla’s.  The room had been laid out much like a dorm room, and we’d used it almost equally.  Now, it would be mine, and I had my own thoughts on how I wanted the room to look.  I hadn’t given it much thought until she’d arrived, but I hadn’t seen much of her father in the last two days.  Once she entered the house I could sense that something was different.  She hadn’t been in the room even five minutes, and hadn’t put but two things into the box she brought with her before Kayla stole her away.  I’d expected it to be just a few minutes, but it was quite a while, and I started loading the box myself.  When she returned, she totally didn’t mind and sat on small bed that still occupied her corner of the room. 

“I guess it had to happen sooner or later.”  She looked sad and partially upset.  I knew it wasn’t the room.  We’d already discussed it.

“What’s going on?”
“It’s Kayla and my dad.  They’re splitting up.”  Before she could get all the words out of her mouth, she already broke into tears.  These were tears that had managed not to fall loose before, but were now ready to be free.

“Actually, they’ve already split up, and we’ve been avoiding the issue.”
“So, what now?”  I asked as I moved beside her.
“They’re pretty much saying the same thing…. We’ll always be family.  We love each other, and we love you… it’s just sometimes things don’t go as planned.”
“And what are you saying?”
“It will take some time to get used to.  I can’t imagine what’s so complicated that they need to split up.  Even my mom is surprised at the news.”
“Well, you know we’ll always be the best of friends right?”
“Right!”  I see the break of a smile, and I know we’ll get through it.  We continue to fill the box, and we agree that whatever she leaves behind is up for grabs.   

Shortly after she leaves, I push everything to one side of the room, and lay with my eyes closed.  I’m thinking of all the things that have transpired since the night before I left to come home.  I’m wondering if they’re at all connected, and I’m remembering the first reasons why I’m coming home.  I’m thinking of the things that were revealed to me in prayer, and though I’m intimidated by what I’ve been called to do, I’m also excited to know what my life will look like on the other side of it all.  Before I can consider everything a second and then a third time, I see his text…



Chapter 6- Peeking Through



Radiance- My first album was successful.  That’s lingo in this industry not for “a hit”, but to say “not a total loss”.  I’m still on the roster, and I’m still the forerunner but this album had better be a hit, or I could lose my position and be shelved.  It’s no hard feelings; it’s the business I’m in, but most of the reviews are in, and my popularity has increased almost in the blink of an eye.  The hype feels real, and the circuit I’m on is not letting up.  Today, I’m at Ample to meet with Reece.  I think she just wants to check in and see that we’re on the same page.  She’s happy to see me as always.  I’m still the artist that won her the pitch, and got her the position, and there’s something special that we share.  I’m not so green anymore and there’s been enough ups and downs to sober me up, yet I still find a way to hold on to my confidence, and she’s a lot to do with it.  I take a lot of notes from her, and I never let them see me sweat unless it’s in the burrow above my upper lip.  She greets me at her door with a high five, and I know that the hype is real.

“So radio is buzzing.  ‘Coming Together’ is spinning.  I’ve been jumping stations all morning, and I’ve already heard it five times.  I just got off the phone with the social media team and people are checking for you.  Right now your whole month is booked, and we’re already getting requests for album screenings.”  She’s so boss… and her suit jacket is speaking her truth.  It’s her signature thing… a boss jacket, and a killer pair of shoes.  That’s her in office get up, but the levels change and industry events is where she really shows her knowledge of fashion.  Actually she’s really becoming known for her style, and I’ve spotted her in at least three magazines in the last six months. 

“Nice.”  It’s my answer to it all, and it does feel nice.
“So where’s Eaton?”
“Who knows.  He shot me a text earlier.  You know he’s relentless; probably meeting with potential talent.”
“Okay good… you’ll get a look at the final cover sometime this week.  Check the business email, and if there’s any big news, you’ll get a text from me.”  That was the extent of the meeting, and her next appointment was already waiting.  That was the extent of most of my meetings.  They’re usually short, with a lot of run downs, but it’s my work behind the music.  It’s something about the culture.  Everyone wants to meet in person, shake hands, and get a sense of where you are.  I embrace it, just as they embrace the fact that I’m not as in your face as I appear to be.  It’s something about the red heart-shape glasses that gets them off guard.  I haven’t parted with them nor has the label, and we’re working on something special for the fans, but first is the business of this album and whether the buzz translates to bucks. 

I get back to the car and I hear the song for the first… now that I’m listening to the radio.  I’m thinking of how clutch the song was, and I know it was a gift from heaven.  I look up and take a moment to recognize the true powers that be.  My next stop is to get my tints a little darker.  Yeah it’s at that point, and I’ve been advised, although the red hearts tend to peek through.     







Renegotiating Kaylin, a novel
Copyright 2019 by Natisha Renee Williams and Grace Call Communications, LLC
All Rights Reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The VCR Diaries "MIC" Reece vs. Rick Simpleton, Round 7

Welcome to The VCR Diaries 2 "MIC"  A Poetic Documental  based on The Decks and the Road Novel Series (Click on the Image to open a clearer view) Experience MIC! Mysteries in Common. Enjoy this comparison look at The VCR Diaries and The VCR Diaries 2 "No Estrogen" To view the full Log of the Diaries, you may go to  TBIOB.blogspot.com Round 7- Reece vs. Rick Simpleton "The Trap" from  The VCR Diaries 1-Act 3, Part 1-  The Lights have dropped.  It’s not a total black out.  Not yet anyway.  You can hear the questions and the whispers.  None of them however are stronger than the darkness.  Reece is the last woman standing, and her platform is beginning to look like a trap.  It remains erected, but it’s obvious she’s going to need to move around.  It’s the look on her face that sends this message.  It says she’s got a head full of thoughts.  It’s not even on her chest.  No, it’s right at the tip of her tongue. Her Diary- Reece I

Grace Call Communications... Unfolding Now!

(Click on the Image to open a clearer view.  Download optional after opening) Grace Call Communications, LLC thanks you for your support of DAR and The VCR Diaries!  Pick up our latest Newsletter to find out how you can Write Your First Book in 2020 using our Suspended-Release Novel Formula.  Also enjoy The VCR Diaries "MIC".. Mysteries in Common right here on the blog.

Introduction to Freeborn

The Decks and the Road Book 1- Freeborn Introduction “You have not seen your life, until you’ve seen a circle.” In life we take the hands we are dealt, and hit the road.  Sometimes the deck makes us a slave, and other times, the road wears us down.  Then, every now and again we get a glimpse of the Freeborn ; the beauty that is born at the round-about.  It’s a fragile beauty; a beauty that can be easily seen but not understood.  It’s the beauty you hope will be with you forever.  But, too bad; it was born free.  It comes, it harnesses the wind, it creates a line in the sky, and then, it’s gone.  The freeborn is not for the aspirational.  It’s useless to aspire to.  It’s not up to us who breathe, but it’s decided by the one who gives breath.  The generations could not purge itself to exist this way; nor could traditions.  It’s the resting of a hand—the touch of destiny; and boy is it sure to be victimized.  Yet, never mind the all the sympathy.  The Freeborn is nobody’s ga