Skip to main content

RK: "Wrapped in Gold" and "Indoor-Outdoor"

The Decks and the Road
Renegotiating Kaylin



Chapter 3- Wrapped in Gold


Kaylin- It’s the afternoon after.  I’ve been up since… Well, I’ve been up.  I’m standing in front of the mirror.  I’m holding the newest addition to my key ring, and trying to decide what it really means.  I’ve never attempted to lose weight.  In fact, my weight has never come up; not in any conversation, at any time, with any of the people I know.   Perhaps in their eyes I’m bigger than my weight.  Perhaps I outshine it.  But every now and then, I wonder if it’s the thing that makes me non-threatening?  It’s not so much that I want to be a threat.  It’s just that non-threatened look on her face when I asked to have a word with him that concerns me.  It’s like the thought that he could have eyes for me hadn’t, not even for a second, grew to the size of a mustard seed.  Anyway, I’ standing here, certain that I’m not returning to school, and with a new gym membership that I didn’t bother to put to use today.  First of all, is the question of what to wear.  It may sound like an odd question; a question that can be answered by just looking around, but I didn’t see anyone around who looked like me.  I didn’t see any large, full-figured… no big-boned, I mean overweight people on my tour of the place.  I think I’ll just approach it like I do going to the beach.  I’ll just wear the biggest shirt I can find.   Something that doesn’t cling to any of my tires, and hides the things I know are underneath this façade.  The things that I’d showed him, and he’d loved, but had forgotten. 

When I’d found a quiet corner where we could speak, I was already way pass the Kaylin I knew.  I hadn’t gone to the restroom, or tried to put myself back together; in the way that I came, but I’d headed straight to where they were standing.  Once I’d stopped and turned to face him, I could see some remorse but it was vague and I didn’t know if it was about her or me. 
“Did I forget to mention that it’s my birthday?”
“I’m sorry.  It’s complicated.”
“No it’s simple.  You could have not showed up.”  I whispered and barked at the same time, and there were more tears.

“Is that really your preference?”
“What good are you to me anyway with her hanging on to you?”
“What happened between me and you was an accident.”  He also whispered and checked both of his blind spots before speaking.

“Then why are you here?  You can get dinner and a good drink anywhere.”
“I didn’t think you’d forgive me.”
“But this is unforgivable. “  Those were the words that were most in integrity with my principles, and then I saw his hand reach into his jacket pocket and returned with his gift wrapped in gold. 
“Should I hide it?”  I was sarcastic.  It was no surprise.    
“No.  I would like to see your expression.”  He replied with no visible expression of his own.  Those were the last words he spoke to me before he returned to her.  After I’d opened the box that was shallow in depth and square in shape, and after a different kind of tear had fallen into the box, I heard his steps as they loudly and then quietly sounded off.  I stood for many moments more in the corner of my life where he’d again marked his territory.   When I rejoined the party, I’d certainly made my pit stop to the ladies room, and had gotten someone to place the bracelet on my wrist.  He was gone by then.  They both were, but I remembered her over and over.   



Chapter 4- Indoor-Outdoor



Monica Shepherd- I remember her.  I remember her shock, or maybe it was horror.  I remember the tip she left, and I still remember the message I gave her.  It’s been quite some time, and I know that she didn’t mistakenly find her way back to me.  She’s much stronger now.  I can feel it.  But something’s sapping her strength.  It’s in her eyes.  She’s just looking around.  She hasn’t made her way over to me as yet.  Maybe she’s contemplating.  Maybe the cross around her neck has something to do with it.  I can tell that she’s into the paintings, but I know that’s not why she came.  As a matter of fact, I know that she wrote about it.  Perhaps it’s why she wears the large shades she’s holding in her hand.  I know it certainly changed my life, and I went from a small table on the outside of the gallery, to a room on the inside.  It was the owner’s idea.  After the changing tide and a new kind of customer began sitting in the chair across from me, she thought it best that I be located on the inside.  This gives them time to check out the art, and most of them buy.  Not to mention, most of the sales come from the Monica Shepherd Collection, but that’s a secret.  It’s been a secret, and it will remain a secret.  I don’t know… I just like it better when people think I’m nothing but a cheap palm reader.  Funny, no one ever notices that I don’t read palms.  Most people don’t pay close enough attention to anything.  After she circles the room twice, I start to make my way back to my room where, there’s a sign above the door post that simply says readings.  I sit for about three or four minutes before she wanders in.  The room is designed like an outdoor oasis.  There are many plants, there’s a water feature, and countless books that I collect and loan out for free.  I ditched the table, and now my guest and I sit on two large cushions on the floor, where we face each other.   Instinctively, she closes her eyes, and without any direction, she places her right palm in my lap.  Whatever the contemplation, it’s over now, and she appears to be ready for whatever life has to offer.  I don’t want to scare her, and since reading her book, I’m left picking and choosing what all to tell her. 

“There’s someone you’ve grown fond of… you’re going to lose him.  And there’s someone that you’ve lost, try to make peace with it.  Start dating; something’s waiting for you.”  I sat looking on her.  She’d hung her head after my first sentence, and now her hands were covering her face which she kept between her legs.  I quietly took to my feet and returned to the gallery.  Within fifteen minutes, she exited with her large shades on her face and a napkin from the box I’d placed beside her in her hand.  When I returned, there was a fifty dollar bill on my cushion, and I could feel remnants of her still there.  Mostly, I could feel her disappointment, but it would soon leave, and then I could feel the deep breath she’d taken before she left.    





Renegotiating Kaylin, a novel
Copyright 2019 by Natisha Renee Williams and Grace Call Communications, LLC 
All Rights Reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The VCR Diaries "MIC" Reece vs. Rick Simpleton, Round 7

Welcome to The VCR Diaries 2 "MIC"  A Poetic Documental  based on The Decks and the Road Novel Series (Click on the Image to open a clearer view) Experience MIC! Mysteries in Common. Enjoy this comparison look at The VCR Diaries and The VCR Diaries 2 "No Estrogen" To view the full Log of the Diaries, you may go to  TBIOB.blogspot.com Round 7- Reece vs. Rick Simpleton "The Trap" from  The VCR Diaries 1-Act 3, Part 1-  The Lights have dropped.  It’s not a total black out.  Not yet anyway.  You can hear the questions and the whispers.  None of them however are stronger than the darkness.  Reece is the last woman standing, and her platform is beginning to look like a trap.  It remains erected, but it’s obvious she’s going to need to move around.  It’s the look on her face that sends this message.  It says she’s got a head full of thoughts.  It’s not even on her chest.  No, it’s right at the tip of her tongue. Her Diary- Reece I

The VCR Diaries "MIC" Reece vs. Rick, Round 9

Welcome to The VCR Diaries 2 "MIC"  A Poetic Documental  based on The Decks and the Road Novel Series (Click on the Image to open a clearer view.  Download optional after opening.) Thank you for following The VCR Diaries MIC! Mysteries in Common. Enjoy this comparison look at The VCR Diaries and The VCR Diaries 2 "No Estrogen" To view the full Log of the Diaries, you may go to  TBIOB.blogspot.com Reece vs. Rick  "Survival Instinct" Reece-  Ever seen a tiny branch form right out of a large branch?  There’s no succession; no respect for season.  You blink and there it is.  It appears weak in contrast, until you see a squirrel sitting there.  There’s no sway.  There’s no bounce. It’s there and it’s meant to be there.  My life is the tiny branch, but my breath remains a set of wings… again, one tiny and one large.  You should see it flying through the sky; my breath.  If you can capture the image, you’ll say it’s not going that far.  Ye

Introduction to Freeborn

The Decks and the Road Book 1- Freeborn Introduction “You have not seen your life, until you’ve seen a circle.” In life we take the hands we are dealt, and hit the road.  Sometimes the deck makes us a slave, and other times, the road wears us down.  Then, every now and again we get a glimpse of the Freeborn ; the beauty that is born at the round-about.  It’s a fragile beauty; a beauty that can be easily seen but not understood.  It’s the beauty you hope will be with you forever.  But, too bad; it was born free.  It comes, it harnesses the wind, it creates a line in the sky, and then, it’s gone.  The freeborn is not for the aspirational.  It’s useless to aspire to.  It’s not up to us who breathe, but it’s decided by the one who gives breath.  The generations could not purge itself to exist this way; nor could traditions.  It’s the resting of a hand—the touch of destiny; and boy is it sure to be victimized.  Yet, never mind the all the sympathy.  The Freeborn is nobody’s ga